Friday 21 November 2014

A New Place to Play

So this week myself and my long suffering ally in toy soldiers, Taff, set off to visit a wargaming club a stone's throw from home. We had done a recce a fortnight before (the club meets fortnightly) and had found the assembled company pleasant and very welcoming, so we decided to bring toys this week. Taff hasn't played in a while, so we decided to dust off his old Necrons and give the new edition of Warhammer 40k a whirl. I had put on a demo game for Taff's son, Morgan, a few weeks earlier, which he observed, so we were both keen to play a proper game.

Taff's Necrons are from 3rd edition, and predate their reinvention as Tomb Kings in space. So he was fielding an army that lacked many of the shiny things that one commonly sees on the table nowadays. We decided to play 1,000 points, and rolled up Big Guns Never Tire, with the longways deployment. Since I was trying to teach Taff the new rules I didn't take any pictures. When the blind lead the blind photography falls by the wayside. The scenario ended up being a slight boon to me as extra Victory Points could be scored by destroying Heavy Support choices, I had none and Taff had two. Furthermore, there were five objectives up for grabs that were worth 3 VPs each. 

Taff's list looked something like this: 

- Destroyer Lord with a resurrection orb
- 3 Destroyers
- 4 x 5 Necron Warriors
- 5 Flayed Ones
- 2 Monoliths

Taff is competitive player and will never hold back, I felt that I had brought a spoon to a gun fight with my 1000 point Zone Mortalis force of Dark Angels that I painted up for the Hobby Progress Challenge.

- Interrogator-Chaplain
- 7 Deathwing Terminators
- 2 x 10 Tactical Marines
- 6 Scouts
- Ravenwing Bikes

The game played out quite spectacularly with deep striking monoliths wreaking havoc amongst my lines and a Deathwing chainfist carving one of them up before it exploded killing several of my own terminators. My tactical marines, led by my zealous Chaplain tore the Destroyer Lord to pieces. When the game ended it was 10-7 to me, but one of the objectives I had was tenuous, so I suggested we call it a draw. The game was satisfying, despite my total lack of ranged anti-tank assets. The real coup was getting our faces out there and becoming names at the club. Things can only get better and I look forward to the clubs next meet in less than a fortnight's time. 

I realise also that I have been rather quiet on the blogging front lately. In all honesty, I simply haven't had the time for the hobby. I haven't had a day off in over five weeks due to Army courses and commitments, in addition to the busy period at work. The good news is that this weekend I might get Sunday off, which should free up some time to get working on some Dark Angels to give my force some more punch. I took the liberty of ordering the Dark Vengeance, Dark Angels expansion from Element Games which should be waiting for me when I get home. Some more Ravenwing bikes, Deathwing and a flyer can only help with those pesky Monoliths. 

No comments:

Post a Comment