Sunday, 6 July 2014

Dark Angels and a July Commitment

I thought I'd take some group shots of my first thousand points of Dark Angels today, and so I did. I used my iPhone, so the pictures aren't great, but I was more interested in showing the progress than showcasing the miniatures.

The first thousand points.

I think the force looks coherent with a decent quality across the board. The Deathwing also seem quite at home. And so, for my next trick...

A squadron of Ravenwing bikers, again from the Dark Vengeance boxed set, and what lovely figures they are! I do have some older ones from a few editions ago, but these are just so nice. I might paint up the others too. But this is my HPC commitment for July. With the figures being black, I am going to use my airbrush to basecoat them, and then try to do the highlights with the airbrush too and see how it goes. 

Looking beyond this month, I have a Dreadnought I could paint up, as well as a Command Squad and Company Master Balthasar. So there is plenty to keep me busy. 

Tuesday, 1 July 2014

2014 HPC: Deathwing Squad Barachiel

So I finished my June commitment for the Hobby Progress Challenge 2014 last night, less than an hour from the deadline. In all fairness, it wasn't a mad rush at the end and more of a controlled landing.

Squad Barachiel deployed amidst some ruins.

I opted for a lighter green to complement the overall lightness of the bone coloured armour. I also wanted to shift the pallet to a lighter register in comparison to the "Green Wing" elements of the army. I also found that the darker green leads to a sort of Christmas theme when combined with the red and bone, which I was eager to avoid. 

The core of the squad of seven are the Terminators from the Dark Vengeance boxed set, minus one which I painted before the HPC started. These miniatures were an absolute please to paint as they are dynamic and full of details that firmly make them Deathwing.

To make up the numbers I also added three terminators from the old Assault on Black Reach boxed set. These figures are incredibly generic and very static. Admittedly I didn't like them much, but I did try and tart them up by hacking off their right pauldrons and replacing them with parts from the Dark Angel Accessory sprue. It came out pretty well in the end, and the picture above shows how I was able to bring a bit of variety to these otherwise uninspiring miniatures. I was particularly chuffed with the second and third company insignia on the shoulders of two of the terminators. 

All in all I am happy with the outcome and am now trying to think what to paint for my July commitment. I have a box of Dark Angel things I need to dig out, and then I shall decide. With the completion of my June commitment, the first half of my HPC is now complete, and I have a 1000 point Zone Mortalis force to show for it, which I am very pleased about.